Tuesday, November 19, 2013

turkey pinwheels

How many of you like those little pre-made pinwheel wraps you can get at grocery stores? I do but I never buy them.

I went to the grocery store today because we were out of bananas, applesauce, and cinnamon and passed by the deli section and saw some 'italian pinwheels' and I reallllly wanted them but I put them back.  As I was walking to get the applesauce I kept thinking about the wraps.. So I went back and looked at the nutrition facts and they were 270 calories per 3 pinwheels and there was 6 in the container.  I would want all 6 for sure but for 540 calories? No way Jose. So I decided to make some myself.

I grabbed some spinach flatbread wraps- 90 calories per wrap!  Way better than the low carb ones I have that are 210 per wrap.  All I needed to buy for them was the wrap and salami- because the 'Italian' ones had salami and I wanted to get as close to those as possible.

I started getting into making them so I lost count of the calories but I do know it was wayy less than 540 calories! I'm going to make Christian another for lunch tomorrow so I'll figure it all out and add it later.

But I used the spinach wrap, a little bit of chipotle dressing, 2 slices of turkey, 3 slices salami, 2 slices of reduced fat provolone, then sliced them up.
And they were good!  Christian was convinced they were going to be gross because the wraps were green but he really liked them too. (BTW the wraps don't taste like spinach if you are also skeptical)



1 comment: